IV Wellness Center
The IV Wellness Center administers Ketamine IV treatment, an FDA approved anesthetic drug, from it’s San Francisco area clinic in sub-anesthetic doses to treat depression and some chronic pain syndromes.
If you suffer from severe depression that has not responded to medication or other traditional treatment modalities, then Ketamine IV infusion therapy may be an option for you. The procedure is easy to administer and essentially pain free. There will be an initial evaluation with your doctor to see if infusion therapy is right for you. When considering ketamine treatment, there are some important points to remember:
- Infusions will be 1 hour.
- After the infusion you will stay for another 30 minutes to recover. If you have CRPS/RSD your infusion will be longer, usually 3-4 hours
- Some possible side-effects include dizziness, blurred vision, nausea, and hallucinations, these are rare and dose related, they can be treated immediately to make your experience as pleasant as possible.
- Within 15 minutes of ending the infusion your mind will be clear. There are no delayed “flashbacks.”
- It is possible to undergo ketamine infusion therapy and have no beneficial effect. We cannot predict who will respond to ketamine, but statistically 2 out of 3 patients do show a dramatic improvement in their mood and 3 out of 4 will cease to have suicide ideation.
- Can I get addicted?
Because it is used as a “party drug” there is a legitimate worry about addiction potential. Studies and clinical experience have found that in the very low doses used, medical setting, lack of access at home, and infrequent dosing, there is virtually no potential for addiction or abuse.
- we require a note from your treating provider. You will be seen for an initial consultation, all your documents/labs will be reviewed and we will determine if you are a candidate for IV infusions.
- We recommend that you don’t take Benzodiazepines such as Xanax, Ativan, Valium, or Klonopin, and amphetamine-based stimulants, such as Adderall or Ritalin the day of treatment.
- Any medical condition that is not well managed would preclude you from treatment. Uncontrolled high blood pressure, or any serious cardiac or respiratory conditions need to be disclosed to avoid complications.
- Bring a responsible adult to take you home. You will not be able to drive for 12 hours after the infusion.
- Don’t eat any solid food 8 hours before your infusion, you are allowed to have clear liquids such as water, clear broth, apple juice or clear tea/coffee (no milk or leaves) up to 2 hours prior to your appointment.
- Ketamine infusions are not covered by insurance. However, we do provide a receipt for services at the time of your appointment. While we cannot guarantee any reimbursement, some of our patients with “out of network” benefits have been able to recoup a portion of their out of pocket costs.
At the IV Wellness Center, all Ketamine IV treatment is administered by our Harvard trained MD, who is double board certified in Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine and has more than twelve years of clinical experience using ketamine.